Ever wondered how will it feel like if you can run Kodi on your smart TV. Enjoying all those geeky and awesome addons, by simply sitting on a couch in front of your smart TV.
If you ever thought to do so then you will definitely love this guide.
In this article, we will uncover how to install Kodi on your smart tv. Also some alternatives to Kodi that you can enjoy if the method didn’t work out for you.
So let’s dive in..
Will Kodi Run On my Smart TV?
Though the build of Kodi is such that, it can be easily used across a lot of devices like smartphones, android tv box, streaming sticks PCs and lot more. Still, this does not guarantee that Kodi will run on your smart tv.
The plausible reason could be that most of these smart TV’s are not android based. Their operating system is a custom made by the brand and tweaked according to their standards. Kodi might not support many of these operating systems. So it’s necessary to know whether your smart TV will support Kodi or not.
Given below is the Kodi’s state of compatibility of few famous smart tv makers:
- LG Smart TV: Most of them run WebOS, which is not compatible with Kodi.
- Panasonic TV: All smart TVs run on a custom-made operating system, which Kodi doesn’t support.
- Samsung SMART TV: Nearly all Samsung Tv’s run on a customized operating system and again Kodi doesn’t support this OS. Though there were kinda official announcement that they are working on a version of it but it was later discovered that it had too many bugs and our speculation says it won’t be released at least in the near future.
- Sharp Smart TV: Though few models run on Android. Still, there is a majority of them using a third party OS which isn’t compatible with Kodi.
- Sony Smart TVs: Sony’s TV run on a number of custom and third-party OS but with Android, it became really popular. If you can access Play Store from your smart tv then you can easily install Kodi.
- Vizio Smart TVs: Most of their smart televisions run on a bespoke version of Google TV. Access to play store will give you the access to Kodi
So If your Smart Tv run on an operating system that’s compatible with Kodi, we will advise you to continue with the next step of installing it else leave the forthcoming section and jump to Kodi’s alternatives.
How to Install Kodi On your Smart TV?
If your smart tv runs on the latest version of the android then its very easy for you to install Kodi. Sometime your tv will prevent you from installing it and even your Smart TV might become sluggish so please install with caution.
Here’s how to do it…
- Switch On your Smart TV
- Open Google Play Store
- Search for Kodi
- Click on Install
- Wait for the notification that says “Kodi Installed Successfully”
Before you start streaming and get yourself completely engrossed in the world of Kodi. We recommend that you turn on your VPN. Android Based Tv’s also support a lot of VPN by default like iPVanish.
We will advise you that you get a good VPN. To protect yourself from any legal actions. Using Kodi and it’s add-ons to stream content is illegal since they don’t own the copyrights of the streaming content.
Buying the Best Kodi Compatible Smart TV
If your current smart TV isn’t Kodi compatible then there are 2 options left with you either change your Smart TV and buy a new one or install some other good alternatives of Kodi that your Smart TV supports.
If you’re thinking to change your Smart TV then we have some options for your below:
- Sony XBR
- Philips 6800
- Sharp Aquos
We won’t go into the details. In our testing we found these 3 smart TVs to be the best ones you can go for right now.
Cannot Install Kodi? Don’t worry Try these Workarounds….
#1 Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick
If your smart tv can’t run Kodi, then Amazon is here with its Fire TV and Fire TV Stick to help you out.
Fire TV is an android tv set top box, which comes with some pre-installed video options including Amazon’s in-house streaming service. Fire TV stick, on the other hand, is a portable Plug and play device, which works exactly like Fire TV.
Installing Kodi on Fire TV Stick is very easy. Since these devices run on Android, you can also install some good VPN on it. Make sure you turn on VPN before using Kodi. As it protects you from getting exposed to the authorities.
#2 Installing Kodi On Raspberry Pi
A Raspberry Pi is a small computer, that works very much similar to your home desktop. You just need to install the program on it by doing some command line programming, then plug in the device to run Kodi anytime you want.
Things you require to get it done is:
- Pi Device
- HDMI Port
- Lot of Time ; )
Good Alternatives to Kodi
If nothing works for you then we advise you to install some good alternatives to Kodi, to stream movies, tv shows, and sports events.
The reason we found that many Smart TV manufacturers don’t support Kodi is they want to force the users to use they’re built it in Streaming apps. It is like forcing the mass adoption of the app by not providing the already prevalent apps for streaming like in this case Kodi.
So let’s dive into the alternatives of Kodi
- Plex: When it comes to functionality Plex works very similar to Kodi and it even has more features than it. One of those features is Cross-Device Streaming. It works like this: Install Plex on your PC and then install Plex App On your Smart TV then you can stream content wirelessly.
- Sling TV: It is an a la carte TV service. Just select the channels that you wish to watch and pay for only those channels. No stupid packages to buy and pay for channels that you don’t even watch.
Now we leave the choice and the question on you. How to Install Kodi On Smart TV to stream unlimited movies and tv shows?
We will be happy to include your suggestions, the next time we update our article.
So if you like our article then Hit that SHARE BUTTON and Spread the Love!!!